SAFSF is accepting nominations for two positions on the Board of Directors for three-year terms beginning in October 2021.
The Board seeks candidates who will help ensure a diversity of perspectives representing gender, geographic location, life experience, political ideology, professional skills, and race, culture, ethnicity, and organization size and type. We are also expressly seeking individuals with interests in financial management and development. One of the two open positions may be filled by nonmembers of SAFSF. See details of board responsibilities below.
Qualified candidates must be:
- members of the board or staff of a grantmaking or investing organization active in sustainable agriculture and/or food systems philanthropy; and
- committed to uphold and lead with SAFSF’s core values: Collaboration, Equity, Respect, Stewardship, and Integrity, and in accordance with the SAFSF Commitment to Racial Justice.
Self-nomination or nominations of other qualified candidates are welcome. This form provides complete contact information for the nominee, nominator (if applicable), background questions, and a statement of interest describing why the nominee would make a great SAFSF Director.
This form must be submitted no later than Friday, August 6, 2021. Questions about the nomination process should be directed to Virginia Clarke at [email protected]
Please consider nominating yourself or a funder colleague to bring your perspective, expertise and energy to the work of SAFSF!
The Board of Directors has supervision, control and direction of the affairs of SAFSF, determines its policies, carries out its purposes and budgets and disburses its funds.
Roles and ongoing activities of the board include:
- Regularly attend virtual and in-person board meetings and respond to emails and other communications as needed.
- Oversee the major work of SAFSF.
- Ensure solid fiscal status and practices.
- Approve annual budget and authorize major resource allocations.
- Serve on at least one board committee.
- Make policy on behalf of SAFSF.
- Approve new members; ensure processes whereby members can provide input to SAFSF on an ongoing basis.
- Participate in the selection and evaluation of the Executive Director.
- Evaluate the board’s performance.
The Board generally meets four–six times annually, two of which are (ideally) in-person meetings:
- Annual Board Retreat – February 8-10 (in-person, location varies)
- April/May via video conference
- June at SAFSF’s Annual Forum (informal meeting/new Directors’ welcome – location varies)
- September/October Meeting (in-person, location varies)
- November/December via videoconference
Board members unable to attend an in-person meeting are encouraged to join all or parts of that meeting by phone or videoconference. A small travel fund for board meetings is available to ensure the inclusion of leaders whose own budgets may require such assistance.